. Smoky Bacon Cabbage Bowl
Craving something savory and filling, yet light and vibrant? Look no further than this smoky bacon cabbage bowl. Perfectly cooked bacon pleasantly cuts through the tender cabbage and fresh herbs, giving you a bowl of flavor greater than the sum of its parts. This recipe mixes the traditional Chinese flavors of bacon and cabbage with a light vinaigrette, creating a magical combination that you can’t help but savor.
A few simple ingredients make up this recipe, and the results are spectacular; salty bacon, tangy vinaigrette, crunchy cabbage and herbs, and a fresh lemon finish. It’s simple enough to make as a quick lunch, but flavorful enough to also be the star of the dinner table. Whether you use it as a side dish, a main course of its own, or top it with eggs for a hearty breakfast bowl, you’ll be delighted by this classic dish.
• 4 strips of bacon
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• Pinch of sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
• 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, or a combination), chopped
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place bacon strips on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake bacon for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and crispy. Set aside and allow to cool.
2. In the meantime, make the vinaigrette by combining the vinegar, mustard, olive oil, sugar, and pepper in a small bowl or mason jar with a lid. Shake the jar or whisk the ingredients together to combine.
3. Place the shredded cabbage into a large bowl and add the fresh herbs.
4. Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to the cabbage and herbs.
5. Pour the vinaigrette over the bacon, cabbage, and herbs and mix together to combine.
6. Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the salad and mix to combine.
7. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later. Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
This smoky bacon cabbage bowl is guaranteed to become a staple in your dinner rotation. Its combination of flavors and textures will keep you coming back for more. If you’re looking for something special, mix up the fresh herbs for something new. Or, use a different vinegar for a different flavor profile.
Either way, the possibilities are endless with this simple yet impressive dish. Whether it’s for a weeknight dinner or a weekend lunch, this smoky bacon cabbage bowl will always deliver. Enjoy!