What’s better in the summer than a Mediterranean-inspired dish that packs a punch of flavour and texture? Mediterranean Zucchini Lasagne is that dish! This healthy and delicious meal takes an Italian classic and gives it a health kick. Eggplant, zucchini, feta, and tomato sauces combine to make a lighter, but just as flavourful version of the classic.
The beauty of this Mediterranean-inspired dish is that it is full of vitamins, minerals, and flavour, but it is also super easy to make. Whether you’re looking for a quick meal that can feed a crowd or an impressive dish to add to your repertoire, this lasagne is a star!
To make your Mediterranean Zucchini Lasagne, you will need:
-1 lb. ground beef (may be substituted for imitation meat or crumbled tofu)
-1 large red onion, diced
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 tablespoon oregano
-1 tablespoon basil
-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
-1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
-1 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
-1/2 cup kalamata olives, chopped
-1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
-1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, plus more for topping
-2 medium eggplants, sliced
-2 medium zucchini, sliced
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
-1 package of no-boil lasagne noodles
-Salt and pepper
-Optional garnish: chopped parsley
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes together over medium heat until the beef is cooked through.
3. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, kalamata olives, and feta cheese to the skillet and stir until the ingredients are combined.
4. Layer half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish.
5. Top the eggplant with half of the zucchini slices.
6. Spread half of the beef mixture over the zucchini.
7. Top the beef mixture with a layer of no-boil lasagne noodles.
8. Layer the remaining eggplant slices over the lasagne noodles.
9. Top the eggplant with the remaining zucchini slices and beef mixture.
10. Cover the beef layer with another layer of no-boil lasagne noodles.
11. Top the lasagne noodles with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
12. Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper.
13. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
14. Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
15. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
16. Cut the lasagne into squares and enjoy!
The result of this dish is a Mediterranean-inspired flavour explosion that will tantalize your taste buds. The combination of beef, onions, garlic, and tomato sauces creates a