Keto Mexican Frittata
Mexico is a country that has long been a favorite destination for travelers due to its vibrant culture, colorful architecture, and rich cuisine. While Mexican food is popular the world over, there is nothing quite like dining on local fare in the country itself. From tacos to tostadas, Mexican cuisine is known for its wide variety of flavors, colors, and textures.
One of the best-loved Mexican dishes is the frittata – an omelet-like dish packed with proteins and vegetables. Usually well-seasoned and packed with flavor, a frittata is a great option for those looking for a nutritious meal without relying too heavily on carbohydrates. For those following a keto diet, a Mexican-inspired frittata is a delicious perfect choice.
A Mexican frittata is an egg-based dish made with chorizo, vegetables (mushrooms, peppers, and onions), and cheese. Cheese is a source of protein and adds a lovely texture and flavor to the dish. Generally, this frittata recipe is very easy to prepare and requires very little time in the kitchen. The ingredients can be prepped quickly and cooked in one pan so you don’t have to worry about lots of pans or extra cooking time.
The best way to make a Mexican frittata is to start by sautéing the vegetables. Start by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat; add some oil and, once it’s hot, toss in the vegetables. Cook the vegetables for about five minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to soften.
After the vegetables have cooked, add the chorizo and continue cooking until it’s cooked through. This should take about five minutes. Once the chorizo is cooked, add the cheese and mix until incorporated.
Next, lower the heat to medium-low and crack the eggs into the skillet. Mix until the eggs are scrambled and spread the vegetables and chorizo across the skillet.
Cover the skillet and cook for about five minutes. Once the frittata is set, use a spatula to flip it over and cook for another five minutes.
Finally, remove the skillet from the heat and slide the frittata onto a plate. Serve it hot with a side of salsa.
Keto-Friendly Mexican Frittata Recipe
• 4 large eggs
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• ¼ cup diced bell pepper
• ¼ cup diced onion
• ¼ cup diced mushrooms
• 2 ounces chorizo
• ½ cup shredded cheese (such as cheddar, Monterey jack or pepper jack)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the bell pepper, onion and mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
3. Add the chorizo and cook until cooked through.
4. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cheese, stirring until melted.
5. Crack the eggs into the skillet and scramble for about 1 minute.
6. Spread the vegetables and chorizo over the egg mixture.
7. Cover the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes, until the eggs are set.