Hot Buttered Cactus
Hot Buttered Cactus – An Unconventional and Delicious Treat
When you think of cacti, you probably don’t think of butter, however, what if I told you that there is a way of preparing cactus so delicious, it will make your taste buds jump with joy? This dish, affectionately known as Hot Buttered Cactus, is a unique and unusual food that will have you craving for more.
Created by a tribe of Native Americans in Mexico, Hot Buttered Cactus is a crowd favorite among locals and travelers alike. Although initially regarded with scepticism, the flavor, texture and tastiness of this dish have allured people to its simplicity and exoticism.
Made of crisp and delicious cacti, it is cooked over a smoky grill, which imparts an intense flavor. In this recipe, the cacti are cut into cubes, then covered in butter, honey and spices before slowly cooking until the flesh of the cacti becomes soft and tender with just a hint of crispiness. What you get is a delightfully buttery, sweet and savory treat with a pleasant crunchy texture.
The beauty of this dish is that it is simple to make yet full of flavor. The freshness of the cacti is the key to making this delicacy sing and tingle your taste buds.
So if you are feeling adventurous and want to try something new, but also want something delicious, then this is the recipe for you!
• 3-4 cacti
• 4 tablespoons of butter
• 2 tablespoons of honey
• 1 teaspoon of coriander
• 1 teaspoon of paprika
• ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
• Salt to taste
1. Wash your cacti avoiding any excess water, and use a sharp knife to cut the cactus flesh into cubes. Make sure each cube is approximately one inch in size.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, honey and spices.
3. Place your cubes of cactus into the bowl and mix until each cube is coated in the butter and spices mixture.
4. Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, and melt some butter to coat the pan.
5. Place your cubes of buttered cactus onto the griddle and cook until golden brown and tender, flipping the cubes over regularly.
6. Plate and serve with a sprinkle of salt.
And that’s it! You’re ready to enjoy a unique and delicious meal. Serve Hot Buttered Cactus as an appetizer, side dish or a main entree, and you’ll be sure to impress your taste buds.
Aptly named, Hot Buttered Cactus is a succulent and flavorful treat. This recipe is a great way to add a little bit of international flavor to your table. The cactus is a diverse vegetable, so it is easy to find locally and can be bought in supermarkets if you can’t find the cactus in the wild. It is also very easy to prepare, so why not give it a try?
We are sure that once you get a taste of this unusual combination of flavors, you will be sure to make it again and