Cauli-Bacon Carbonara is a lot more than just a quick twenty-minute meal made with loaded bacon and luxurious cream sauce. It’s a beautiful pasta that steps up its game with the addition of a vegetable and protein pairing that makes for a flavorful and surprisingly healthy meal. Many Italian dishes can sometimes be laden with fats and calories, so why not give them a bit of a lighter makeover? The deliciousness of this meal completely covers up the fact that it’s both low-carb and low-fat in one.
Made with cauliflower and bacon, this Carbonara is a fresh new take on the classic. Cauliflower is a versatile vegetable that often takes on the flavor of whatever it’s cooked with, plus, it’s also quite adaptable as both a carb-conscious and low-fat option. Bacon, on the other hand, adds a ton of flavor and a bit of protein and blend into this healthy dish perfectly. This cauliflower-bacon Carbonara is creamy and flavorful with just the right amount of sweetness for an out-of-this-world pasta dish.
Ready in under twenty minutes and made with just a handful of easy-to-find ingredients, this delicious Carbonara is bound to become your go-to meal for busy weeknights. Plus, the kids will love it, too!
– 1 large cauliflower head, broken into small florets
– 8 ounces of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
– 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
– 1/3 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
– 2 large egg yolks
– 1 cup of heavy cream
– 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
– 8 ounces of dry spaghetti
– Salt to taste
1. Begin by bringing a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook the spaghetti al dente and then drain it, reserving a cup of the pasta cooking water.
2. Place the bacon into a large skillet, and cook over medium heat until crisp. Once crisp, remove the bacon and let it drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Reserve three tablespoons of bacon fat in the skillet and discard the rest.
3. Return the skillet to the stovetop, and add the olive oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat and add the cauliflower florets. Cook the cauliflower until it’s lightly browned, about three minutes.
4. Add the garlic and black pepper to the cauliflower and cook until the garlic is fragrant, about one minute.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and cream. Set aside.
6. Add the spaghetti, bacon, and grated parmesan cheese to the skillet. Saute for two more minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Reduce the heat to low and pour in the cream and egg mixture, stirring continuously until creamy and thickened.
8. Add the reserved pasta water if it’s too thick.
9. Serve the Carbonara immediately and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!